The Honors Program provides enhanced educational opportunities for academically talented students in both general education and occupational programs. Students pursue honors studies in parallel with their regular academic programs, and, if they complete the requirements, will receive an honors associate degree. Admission to the Honors Program offers significant benefits such as a tuition scholarship and opportunity for the Otto and Martha Krauss Honors Scholarship, a competitive award that will provide one honors student up to $2,000 per academic year for two years. (The amount is determined by credit hours persemester.)
A minimum of 12 credits in honors courses is required to earn an Honors associate degree. An additional three credits in honors courses is required for each subsequent honors degree.
Honors degrees may be earned in all of the following degree areas:
Honors Associate in Accounting
Honors Associate in Applied Science
Honors Associate in Business Administration
Honors Associate in Science and Arts
Honors Program Requirements
Candidates for admission to the Honors Program must:
- Be enrolled at Kirtland.
- Submit a completed application and transcript release form.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from either college faculty or high school teachers.
- Submit an original essay.
- Have completed twelve (12) college-level credit hours (at Kirtland or elsewhere) with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.50 or be a high school graduate with a minimum high school grade point average of 3.50.
- Transcripts must be submitted.
Applications are accepted throughout the year, but students are admitted only twice each academic year. Upon completion, honors courses and the honors associate degree will be noted on the student's transcript. The student will also receive academic regalia at graduation.
Students interested in earning an honors degree should contact the Honors Program Office at 989-275-5000, ext. 359.