Proficiency in Basic Academic Skills and Placement Testing
Kirtland Community College requires prospective students to demonstrate basic academic skill proficiencies in English, reading, and mathematics before they will be permitted to enroll in college-level courses. Acceptable ways in which a student may demonstrate proficiency in one or more of the basic academic skills include the following:
- Submitting ACT test results. The ACT must have been taken within four years of enrollment at the college. Test results can be presented in person or mailed to the Admissions Office.
- Submitting test results from the Advanced Placement Program, CLEP, or DANTES. Official transcripts must be sent to the Admissions Office. An Application for Admission must be on file for a credit evaluation to be completed.
- Transferring credit for courses taken in English and mathematics at another college or university. Courses must be completed with a “C” grade or better. Official transcripts must be sent to the Admissions Office. An Application for Admission must be on file for a credit evaluation to be completed.
- Enrolling as a “Personal Interest” student. A student is permitted to take one occupational-technical course, preparatory, business seminar(s), and studio art course(s) without being required to test for such placements.
- Taking developmental courses offered by the college in the basic academic skills of English, reading, and mathematics.
- Taking the COMPASS Test within four years of enrollment at the college. The COMPASS Test consists of tests in English, reading, and mathematics.
Further exceptions to the Proficiency in Basic Academic Skills and Placement Testing policy may be granted by the vice president of instruction.
The Testing Center provides reliable test administration in a secure environment that facilitates academic success. The Testing Center administers Computer based, Make-up, Competency, and Alternative classroom exams. Guest proctoring services are available for students from other accredited colleges, businesses or companies. The fee for guest proctoring services is $20.00 per exam.
Regional Testing Services
We offer a variety of tests from CLEP and DSST exams for college credit, to professional certification exams through Pearson VUE, and Prometric. These exams are offered for Kirtland courses and for the surrounding communities. For more information regarding regional testing services at Kirtland please go to: http://www.kirtland.edu/testing-center.
Placement testing evaluates the student’s basic skill levels in Mathematics, Reading, and Writing. Results are used to make recommendations concerning course placement. A student may retake any portion of the COMPASS placement assessment no more than twice within a four year period. Students will be charged a $5.00 fee to retake any portion of the COMPASS placement assessment. Information regarding placement testing dates and times is located at: http://www.kirtland.edu/testing-center/placement-testing
Testing Center Guidelines for Students
- Picture ID is required. A Kirtland student ID, passport and/or driver’s license are acceptable forms of pictured ID. Proctors cannot issue exams without proper ID.
- Personal Items. All personal items not intended to be used for test taking, must be securely stored out of the reach of students while in the examination room. Lockers are provided to secure personal items.
- Missed Exams. Students must first contact their instructor prior to coming to the Testing Center to ensure the test will be available.
- Placement Testing. Students should report directly to the Testing Center with photo ID. The Testing Center is located in the Administration Building in room 248.
- Unattended Children. Children are not allowed to accompany individuals into the examination room; nor are unattended children allowed to remain alone in the service area.
- Electronic Devices. All electronic communication devices such as: Cell phones, pagers, and iPods must be stored in a locker. For further information regarding the Testing Center, visit our Web site at: http://www.kirtland.edu/testing-center
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday
8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Closed Fridays except on O.A.R. registration days and finals week.
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org