Sep 24, 2023
Minimum Credits: 31
Contact Hours: 35
The Medical Assistant program prepares students to perform a variety of administrative and clinical skills in ambulatory care settings. Kirtland’s Medical Assistant program provides classroom, skills laboratory and internship instruction to prepare students to take the AMT RMA and RPT certification examinations upon successful course completion.
Pre-Program Admission: 17 credits
These courses must be completed prior to program admisison, with the exception of ALH-10801 and ALH-11300. All courses require a grade of C+ or higher.
Program Requirements: 14 credits
Minimum Program Credits: 31
Full-Time sequence of courses:
Year 1 (Winter) 13 credits
Year 1 (Summer) 4 credits
Part-Time sequence of courses:
Year 1 (Winter) 6 credits
Year 2 (Winter) 10 credits
Year 2 (Summer) 4 credits
- Students who wish to apply for the program must meet with their academic advisor in order to begin the application process. Once the advisor releases the student to the health science office, they will be provided with the program application to fill out. Applications are received until September 15th of each year. Late applications will be accepted if seats are available after all on-time applicants have been evaluated. Acceptance notifications will be emailed to students via their Kirtland email account in mid-December.
- If applicants exceed the number of available seats in the program, students will be ranked based on: (1) anticipated date of completion of prerequisite course work; (2) G.P.A of required prerequisite courses.
- Prerequisite courses may be repeated one time only, within a 3-year time period, to obtain the required grade.
- ALH-25101- MA Business Practices and Essentials must be completed within 2-years of admission into the MA program.
- It is recommended students complete all prerequisite courses prior to program admission. Students are encouraged to take ALH-10801 (Pathology with Pharmacology) prior to the start of their MA program, if their schedule allows. If students need to take a prerequisite course with their MA program, they may only take one of the following concurrently: ALH-11300 (Medical Ethics & Law) or ALH-10801 (Pathology with Pharmacology).
- BIO-23500 and BIO-23600 OR BIO-25000 and BIO-25100 may be substituted for BIO-10700 if both were previously completed with a C+ or better.
- PHB-10100 Phlebotomy Technician may be substituted for PHB-10200 if previously completed.
- Background checks and drug testing will be required of all students prior to clinical site placement.
- Felony convictions and certain misdemeanor convictions will prohibit admission to the Medical Assistant program. For additional information, please check with the Health Sciences Office at email@example.com.
- Immunization records, physical exam, and BLS are required prior to clinical site placement.
- Each class of Medical Assistant students is considered a cohort (group) and courses/schedules are assigned. Students are expected to complete the program-specific sequence of courses within the two stated semesters. All others would be required to follow the program reentry policy as stated in the program handbook.
Students should seek additional information and/or advising from their academic advisor.
Call (989) 275-5000, ext. 280 to schedule an appointment.