Jul 21, 2024  
2015-2016 College Catalog 
2015-2016 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Financial Services


This office provides an array of financial services and information to meet the needs of students and their families when planning for and managing the cost of attendance. Student Financial Services also helps students apply for financial assistance including grants, loans, scholarships and student employment.


For current tuition and fee rates please refer to our website at www.kirtland.edu/paying-for-college.

NOTE: Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.

Payment For Classes

Upon registration, it is the ultimate responsibility of the student to pay tuition, fees, and other debts incurred at Kirtland by the appropriate due date listed online at: www.kirtland.edu/paying-for-college/payment-due-dates-and-options. When registering in person, each student will be given a statement of account, with his/her class schedule. For students registering via myKirtland, it is the student’s responsibility to view and print their charges from the “Account Detail” window on the Student Tab at MyKirtland. Statements will only be mailed upon request. Students with questions concerning their accounts are encouraged to contact the Student Financial Services Office in the administration building at 989-275-5000, extension 257.

Students are encouraged to regularly check their Kirtland email account as payment reminders and refund notices will be sent to this email. If payment in full is not received by the due date, the student’s classes may be dropped.

Delinquent accounts will be turned over to a collection agency and the cost of such action will be added to the student’s account. Students are not allowed to register for classes or receive transcripts until all financial obligations to Kirtland have been met.

Methods of Payment

CASH – Payment may be made in person at the Student Financial Services Office located in the administration building on central campus or in the front office at the MTEC-Gaylord site. Cash should not be sent through the mail.

CHECK OR MONEY ORDER – Payments can also be remitted to Kirtland Community College, Student Financial Services Office, 10775 N. St. Helen Road, Roscommon, Michigan 48653. The student ID number needs to be included with the payment. A $25.00 charge will be assessed for all NSF checks returned by the bank.

VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER - Students have the option of paying by telephone by calling 989-275-5000, extension 257, or online via myKirtland at: my.kirtland.edu. After logging in, click on the student tab. Then go to the account detail window, verify the semester, click submit and follow the payment instructions.

EMPLOYER OR SPONSORING AGENCY - The Student Financial Services Office can bill a student’s employer or a state agency if a signed authorization or letter is submitted prior to the payment due date or at the time of registration. Written authorizations need to be submitted each semester.

FINANCIAL AID/LOANS/SCHOLARSHIPS - When a student’s financial aid award is approved, an email notification will be sent notifying the student to accept the terms and awards offered. The amount will be credited as an “anticipated award” against the tuition/fee charges. If the award does not cover the balance in full, the student is responsible for paying the difference by the due date. Also, if a student applies late for financial aid and the award has not been approved by the payment due date, the student must be prepared to pay. He/she may be reimbursed after the award has been posted as a “final” award to the account.

e-Cashier Payment Plan

Students with a tuition and fee balance of $100.00 or more may be eligible for the e-Cashier Payment Plan offered through Nelnet Business Solutions. This plan enables students to make interest-free payments for tuition and fees via automatic transactions from a checking, savings, or credit/debit card account. The cost to enroll is $30.00 per semester. Tuition and fees may be budgeted for up to five months per semester. The earlier a student registers, the smaller the monthly payments can be. If a student plans to make payments through Nelnet, an online application must be submitted by the payment due date or on the day of registration. Otherwise, the student’s classes may be canceled. After registering for classes, students can apply online by logging into myKirtland at: my.kirtland.edu. Once you are logged in, click on the student tab. Go to the Account Detail window, verify the semester, and click submit. Then, click the e-Cashier icon at the very bottom of the page and follow the on screen instructions. Once the application is submitted, the student will receive an email notification verifying the agreement. More information is available online at: www.kirtland.edu/paying-for-college/e-cashier-automaticpayment-plan.


The burden of proof of residency is the student’s responsibility and acceptable documentation must be provided to the Admissions Office prior to the first day of the semester in which the residency status is to be applied, otherwise out of-district tuition will be accessed. Retroactive residency adjustments will not be considered.

Acceptable proof: driver’s license, verifiable rent receipts (if rent receipts are not available, a notarized letter from the landlord will be accepted), a dated lease agreement, voter’s registration card, place of residence property tax receipt, Secretary of State identification card. Verifiable rent receipts must contain all the following information: the address of the property being rented; the date of payment; signature, address and phone number of the landlord.

Kirtland Community College will perform ongoing verification of residency information. Students who have misrepresented information or have falsified documents may have to repay tuition, verify back records, or may be subject to disciplinary action by the College. If a student has mail returned to the college, a hold will be placed on his/her record and the student must verify his/her residency at the Admissions Office.


A new student will be classified as in-district if (s)he can prove that (s)he resides in the Kirtland Community College district prior to the first day of the semester of attendance at Kirtland. New students planning to attend the MTEC-Gaylord site must provide proof that (s)he resided in Otsego County or the Kirtland district prior to the first day of the semester.

Otsego County is not part of the college district, therefore, Otsego County residents are considered out-of-district when attending the Roscommon campus or enrolled in online courses.

A returning in-district student will continue to be considered in-district if (s)he can prove (s)he continues to reside in the district.


Otsego County residents taking courses at the M-TEC Gaylord extension site will be assessed in-district tuition rates. All eligible courses will have a course number ending with “M”. Classes taken at the Roscommon Campus or on-line will be charged at the out-of-district rate.


A new student will be considered out-of-district if (s)he can prove residency within Michigan prior to the first day of the semester of attendance at Kirtland, but cannot prove in-district residency.
A student who resides outside the district can be assessed an in-district tuition rate if (s)he provides the college with tax receipts showing tax payments to the college, as long as the property is owned by the student or the student is a dependent of the person who owns the property.

A returning out-of-district student will continue to be considered out-of-district unless (s)he can prove in-district residency prior to the first day of the semester of attendance.

Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311 (b)(9)) who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Kirtland Community College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) will be considered out-of-district.


A student who cannot prove in-district or out-of-district residency will be considered out-of-state if (s)he is a U.S. citizen, or if (s)he is a registered alien (has a green card) who resides in the U.S. or if (s)he resides outside of the U.S. An out-of state student can change his/her classification to in-district in the same way that is described for out-of-district students.


A student who is not a U.S. citizen and who is attending Kirtland Community College under an F-1, J-1, or J-2 visa will be considered an international student and assessed the international rate.


Students residing in ANY Michigan community college district will be assessed at the MCO in-district rate. Michigan resident not living within a community college district will be considered out-of-district. Students who cannot prove in-district or out-of-district residency will be considered out-of-state. Proof of residency will be determined according to the policies of the Michigan community college the student has claimed as their home school. Questions about MCO residency can be clarified by the home school. Kirtland’s due dates and accepted forms of payment can be located at https://www.micollegesonline.org/help.html#/accounting.

1098-T Statement

The student or the person who can claim the student as a dependent may be eligible for an education tax credit. Students that have out-of-pocket expenses for tuition, fees and textbooks over and above financial aid assistance may qualify for the American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit. The College will need a valid Social Security Number on file in order to provide a 1098-T statement. Prior to January 31st, the 1098-T statement will be made available to be viewed and printed from the Student Tab after logging on to https://my.kirtland.edu/ics. This form reports tuition charges (not payments) and/or financial aid totals for the previous calendar year. In order to verify proof of payments, please print a statement of account. For further assistance regarding your 1098-T form, please contact your tax advisor or refer to Publication 970, Form 8863, and the Form 1040 or 1040A instructions at www.irs.gov.


Tuition and fee refunds are based on the following schedule:

Full-semester/Flex and Modular Courses

  • 100 percent refund through and including the census date for the semester.
  • Fall and Winter semester – 9th business day after semester start date. (Start date is Monday, refund date is 2nd Friday)
  • Summer semester – 6th business day after semester start date. (Start date is Monday, refund is 2nd Wednesday for 11-week classes)

All Other Courses

  • 100 percent refund through and including the census date specific to the course. Contact Registrar’s Office for the census date.

The college will follow any federally mandated refund schedules. Contact the Student Financial Services Office for more information. Exceptions to the refund policy due to hardship may be reviewed by the vice president of student services. Refund requests must be received in the semester in which the withdraw occurred, or the semester immediately following. Students must submit the Tuition Refund Appeal form located in myKirtland under student form central to the Vice President of Student Service’s office.

Cancelled Classes

Students registered for a course cancelled by the college will be refunded ALL tuition and fees for the cancelled course.

Federal Return of Funds/Repayment Policy

Under changes made by the Higher Education Reconciliation Act of 2005 (HERA), this policy focuses on the amount of Title IV program funds to be returned when a student withdraws from college prior to completing the semester. This policy applies only to students receiving Title IV aid (federal PELL grants, federal SEOG, and federal subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans).

During the first 60% of the enrollment period, a student “earns” Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time he or she remains enrolled. Students who withdraw totally from the college without completing 60% of the enrollment period will be required to repay a portion of the aid received. For example, a student withdrawing after completing 10% of the enrollment period may need to repay up to 90% of the federal funds that were awarded.

A student’s withdrawal date is:

  • The date the student began the institution’s withdrawal process, or
  • The midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the school.

The institution has the option of using the student’s last date of attendance at a documented academically-related activity in lieu of any other withdrawal date.

The responsibility to repay unearned aid is shared by the school and the student in proportion to the aid each is assumed to possess.

The institution’s share is the lesser of:

  • The total amount of unearned aid, or
  • Institutional charges multiplied by the percentage of aid that was unearned.

The student’s share is:

  • The difference between the total unearned amount and the institution’s share.

Under the HERA, the amount of a grant overpayment due from a student is limited to the amount which the original grant overpayment exceeds half of the total Title IV grant funds received. Students do not have to repay a grant overpayment of less than $50 to the U.S. Department of Education.

NOTE: Kirtland will bill students for any balance owed due to the College’s return of funds. A student who withdraws may have charges not covered by financial aid, such as non-classroom-related items charged at the bookstore, which must be paid by the student.

Financial Aid

Kirtland Community College endorses the philosophy that the primary source of support for a student should come from his/her own family. However, to the extent funding will allow, Kirtland will try to assist a student with financial aid when the family is unable to meet college expenses. Approximately two out of three students receive financial assistance through scholarships, grants, loans, and/or student employment.

Financial aid is a privilege, not a right. Therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to: (1) obtain and file the appropriate forms; (2) maintain the correct address on file; (3) respond promptly and fully to all requests for information; and (4) understand and comply with the rules governing the aid received.

Sources of Financial Aid

There are many different types of student financial aid. Almost all, including state and federal grants, student loans, work-study, and even many scholarships, require the filing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA) for a determination of “financial need.” Financial aid is classified in the following manner:

Grants - do not have to be repaid; awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need.

Scholarships - do not have to be repaid; based upon academic performance and/or special circumstance. Demonstrated financial need may be considered.

Student Loans - must be repaid. Interest rates and repayment options are regulated by federal law and may change year to year.

Work-Study - is part-time work during the school year and vacation periods. Demonstrated financial need is typically considered.

How to Apply For Financial Aid

All students wishing to be considered for federal financial assistance (including student loans and work study) must complete and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online at www.fafsa.gov. FAFSA’s are also available by calling 1-800-4FED-AID. This is not an application for any particular form of aid; rather, it is an application for needs analysis, on which many federal and state aid programs are based.

Within 8-10 days after submitting the FAFSA online, the student will receive his/her copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR). If there are any problems, errors, or questions, the student should contact the Student Financial Services Office. The SAR will be used to determine which programs the student is eligible for and how much can be awarded. The student may need to provide supporting documentation for information provided on the FAFSA.

A student’s application for aid at Kirtland will not be considered finalized until the following items are completed:

  1. The applicant has been officially admitted to Kirtland Community College.
  2. The Student Financial Services Office has on file the following documents:
    • Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor and,

If selected for verification:

  • Verification Worksheet
  • Income documentation: federal income tax transcripts and/or other sources of income
  • Other information as requested such as proof of high school or G.E.D. completion, prior college transcripts or Statement of Educational Purpose..
  1. The applicant has been packaged for aid and notified by the Student Financial Services Office listing the award(s) offered.
  2. If awarded Direct Stafford loans, the Master Promissory Note must be completed.

How the Financial Aid Formula Works

Most federal and state financial aid is awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need. The formula used to determine who has need and who does not is actually quite simple. The following equation is used:

Student Budget - Expected Family Contribution = Financial Need

Student Budget is the cost of attending college (tuition, fees, room and board, transportation, books, supplies, etc.).

Expected Family Contribution is taken from the student’s Student Aid Report.

Financial Need is the maximum dollar amount of need-based aid from the various sources for which the student is eligible.

A student will not necessarily receive financial assistance up to the maximum dollar amount for which he/she may be eligible. The various sources of aid have maximum award amounts and may be further affected by limitations in the availability of funds. Loans may be available if grant aid is insufficient. Inquire at the Student Financial Services Office if additional funding is needed.

Applicants’ answers to certain questions will determine whether they are considered “dependent” (still part of a parent’s family unit) or whether they are “independent” (has formed their own family unit). Students are classified according to family unit because federal student aid programs are based on the idea that students and their parents or spouses (if applicable), have the primary responsibility for paying for their postsecondary education. To be considered “independent,” at least one of the following must apply to the student:

  • turns 24 before January 1 of the academic year for which aid is sought.
  • is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • is an orphan or ward of the court until age 18.
  • is married.
  • financially support dependent children.
  • emancipated minor
  • unaccompanied youth/homeless
  • legal guardianship until age 18

How do Students Pay for Classes if They Have Financial Aid?

At time of registration, and if and only if all financial aid paperwork has been received and processed by the Student Financial Services Office, a student may charge college costs (tuition, books, supplies, and certain fees) up to the amount the student has been awarded in aid. If a student does not have all paperwork completed at time of registration, the student will be obligated to make other arrangements for payment and may be required to pay in full. Students must be aware that financial aid is always subject to change without prior notice if changes occur in the student’s enrollment status, class attendance, personal circumstances, or in federal or state guidelines.

The student is responsible for all college bills not covered by financial aid. All charges incurred during a semester that are not covered by financial aid must be paid by the student before the student will again be allowed to register.

Financial Aid and Withdrawals

A student who withdraws, ceases attendance, or is expelled may have charges and financial aid adjusted according to the time and circumstances of cessation of enrollment. Students should refer to the refund schedules online at: www.kirtland.edu/paying-forcollege/student-refunds. Failure to attend class without officially withdrawing may void financial aid, leaving the student responsible for all charges. Students must advise the Registrar’s Office in writing in order to withdraw by the last day to withdraw for the semester.

Overages and Refunds

Overages, or payments due the students from their awards after charges have been deducted, will start to be made available approximately the fifth week of class. Refunds of Pell Grants, Student Loans and other credit balances can be directly deposited into an account of your choice! Signing up is easy. Simply log into our secure site at: https://my.kirtland.edu/ics. Once you are logged in, click on the Student Tab. On the right-hand side in the Account Detail pane, click on the red link Direct Deposit for Student Refunds. From this page, you may also view the dates of when the Student Financial Services Office processes refunds.

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress For Financial Aid Eligibility

To maintain satisfactory academic progress, a student must comply with all three standards of this procedure:

  • Standard One: Maintain a career grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher.

The student must maintain a career 2.0 or higher grade point average calculated at the end of each semester.

  • Standard Two: Complete 67 percent of the credits attempted.

The student must complete, with a passing grade, 67 percent of all credit hours attempted at Kirtland Community College, whether or not financial aid was received for those attempted credits.

  • Standard Three: Not exceed 150 percent of attempted credit hours.

Federal regulations state that a student cannot receive Title IV financial aid funds for more than one and one-half times (150 percent) the required credits needed to complete a specific certificate or degree. For example, if an Associate in Arts degree requires 60 credits to complete, a student cannot attempt more than 90 credit hours toward that degree and still receive aid (60 x 1.50 = 90). The student should review the Kirtland Community College catalog or consult with an academic advisor to find the number of credits required for his/her program. The student will be denied financial aid when he/she has attempted more than 150 percent of the credit hours required for his/her program. Grades of W, I, U, R, AU and E (grade definitions are found in the college catalog) are not considered passing but are considered as attempted credits. Remedial coursework and transfer credits are included in the number of attempted credits. The student may receive financial aid for the repeat of a previously passed course one time.

Satisfactory academic progress will be reviewed prior to the awarding of any federal financial aid. A student who applies for financial aid for the first time and has credits already accumulated at Kirtland must have successfully completed, with a 2.0 career grade point average or above, 67 percent of all credit hours attempted. The student cannot have attempted more than 150 percent of the credit hours required for his/her current program. The student with transfer credits from other institutions will have the total number of transfer credits counted in the total number of attempted credits. All credits, even if paid for from the student’s own funds, will be counted as attempted credits. When the student does not complete 67 percent of all career credit hours attempted with a 2.0 career GPA or above, he/she will be placed on warning status. The student can receive financial aid while on warning.

Consequences of Failing to Meet One or More of The Progress Standards

Warning Status
A student who fails to meet Standards One or Two (previously described in this procedure) in a semester will be placed on a warning status for their next semester of enrollment and receive one subsequent term of financial aid. A student remains eligible to receive financial aid while on warning status. If both Standard One and Two are met at the end of the warning semester, the student will be removed from warning status.

Denial Status
A student who does not meet the requirements for maintaining eligibility at the end of the warning semester will have eligibility for financial aid programs denied. A student who reaches the upper limit of attempted credits for their program of study will have their aid eligibility denied.

Reinstatement After Ineligibility

With the exception of the 150 percent rule, a student may be reinstated (after being denied) after meeting one of the following conditions:

  • The student has taken, without funding from financial aid, at least six credit hours and has passed those six credit hours with a grade of “C” or better. Classes taken at institutions other than Kirtland are not considered for reinstatement purposes. The student will be given financial aid on a probation status during the next semester the student attends Kirtland, or
  • The student has taken, without funding from financial aid enough credits to meet the GPA and completion rate requirements of Standard Three. The student will be reinstated without warning status.

Appeal Process

Pursuant to federal regulations, a student denied federal financial aid due to unsatisfactory academic progress may appeal for reconsideration of aid eligibility. The student must explain his/her failure to meet satisfactory academic progress, what has changed to allow him/her to regain satisfactory academic progress and must submit documentation from his/her academic advisor indicating the courses the student still must take to complete their program of study. Other appropriate documentation should be submitted if relevant, such as physician’s letter, divorce decree, obituary, or academic records. The submission of an appeal does not guarantee a change in eligibility. If the student files a successful appeal, the status will be changed to financial aid probation. The student will be notified in writing of the appeal committee’s decision. The decision of the committee is final.

Confidentiality of Records

Information contained in the financial aid file is strictly confidential and will not be released without the prior written approval of the student. However, departments within the college may be provided information on a “need-to-know” basis. Files are generally destroyed after five years.

Statement of Compliance

Financial aid is awarded in compliance with all pertinent federal and state laws and regulations, without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or handicap, except as provided under federal and state laws and regulations.

Student Employment

Part-time student employment is offered both on and off campus. The federal government and Kirtland Community College provide work-study dollars which fund the student employee program. Off-campus employers may be obligated to contribute matching funds. The goals of the program are to provide employment experience, the opportunity for community service, and additional financial assistance to students. Students are paid an hourly rate for the work they perform. A copy of the student employment handbook is available online.

Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA) before consideration for student employment and attend a student employee orientation.

Student Employment Handbook

The purpose of the Student Employee Handbook is to inform students of the general provisions and regulations of work study, a financial aid program that provides valuable job experience through student employment. This booklet includes responsibilities of student employees and their supervisors, how to complete a time sheet, office conduct, student employee evaluation process, and forms. A copy is available online.


Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

Children of Michigan veterans whose death or total disability is connected with wartime service should also inquire about the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund. If they are Michigan residents and not over 25 years of age, they may be eligible for full or partial coverage of tuition and fee charges. Contact the Student Scholarships and Grants at 1-888-447-2687 for details.

Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)

The student must be a registered member of a federally recognized American Indian tribe, be enrolled in a public college or university, and demonstrate financial need. For more information, contact Bureau of Indian Affairs, Federal Square Office Plaza, Box 884, Sault Ste Marie, MI 49783. Phone: 906-732-6809.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduate students demonstrating financial need. Students must complete the FAFSA. For the 2014-2015 academic year an annual award of up to $5730 is possible. Awards are pro-rated based on the actual enrollment level of the student each semester. Federal lifetime limit for Pell Grants is 12 full-time semesters or the equivalent.

Michigan Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

The student must be from a low-income family and must have graduated from high school or completed a GED prior to age 20. If the student is eligible, the state will pay tuition and mandatory fees at Michigan community colleges and some universities. TIP does not cover course fees and coverage is limited to 24 credits per academic year. Applications should be submitted to the state no later than the senior year in high school, although eligibility may be established as early as grade seven.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This grant is awarded as a supplement to the PELL Grant to students showing exceptional need. Priority is given to students with the lowest expected family contribution as determined by the FAFSA. The typical award at Kirtland Community College is $300 a year.

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

The student must have been a Michigan resident for at least 12 months and be certified by his/her tribal association as not having less than 1/4 blood quantum. Contact Michigan Department of Civil Rights at 517-241-7748 for application and questions.


Michigan Competitive Scholarship

This is a state scholarship awarded to eligible Michigan high school graduates. Applicants must have a qualifying score from the ACT and have financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The award amount is based on state funding. Contact Student Scholarships and Grants at 1-888-447-2687 for details.

Scholarships/Grants Offered by Kirtland Community College

Academic Excellence Scholarship

For 2015 high school graduates with a 23 or higher ACT score. Registration by July 31and students must maintain full time enrollment. Renewable for a second year with completion of 24 college level credits and 3.00 GPA.

Academic Merit Scholarship

For 2015 high school graduates with a minimum 3.25 GPA and 19-22 ACT score. Registration by July 31 and students must maintain full time enrolment. Renewable for a second year with completion of 24 college level credits and 3.00 GPA.

Athletic Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded to select students participating in Kirtland’s athletic programs. Contact the athletic director for details.

Kirtland Honers Scholarship– Contact Honors Program Department at ext. 359.

Students must have been accepted into the Kirtland Honors Program.

Michigan Army and Air National Guard Grant

A pro-rated grant is available to eligible members of the Michigan Army or Air National Guard.

Senior Citizen Scholarship

Student must be a resident of the Kirtland district, age 60 or over. For more details, go to: www.kirtland.edu/paying-for-college.

Scholarship Sponsored By The Kirtland Foundation

Students may obtain Kirtland Foundation Scholarship information at: http://www.kirtlandfoundation.org/scholarships-kirtland-foundation.

Anna Biernat Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to students residing in Lovells Township. Student must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher and must be a full or part-time student.

Robert Bovee Scholarship For Health Sciences

In-district residency is required with a minimum GPA of 2.8.

Anne and Lawson Chambers Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to students who are residents of Rose City and Lupton.

Carl J. Darling Jr. Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to criminal justice pre-service students entering the Police Academy. Students must have a GPA of 2.5 or better.

Donald N. Fenton Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to sophomore level students planning to transfer to a university/college to study environmental science, teaching of environmental sciences or teaching of science. Minimum GPA of 2.5.

Carl Fernelius Memorial

This scholarship is open to all in-district Kirtland students enrolled in the Liberal Arts program. Student must be full time and have cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and demonstrate financial need.

F.O.P. Ausable Lodge #189

This scholarship is limited to 2nd year criminal justice students. Student must have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher and be enrolled full-time. Preference will be given to students residing in Crawford County and also to those demonstrating financial need.

James D. Fryfogle Memorial

This scholarship is limited to Kirtland Level II Associate Degree Nursing students who maintain a minimum 3.00 GPA in their core courses and a minimum 2.50 GPA for all other courses. They must also be residents of the college district.

Marguerite Gahagen Scholarship

Students applying for this scholarship must be majoring in journalism at Kirtland. They must have earned a 3.00 GPA. Preference is given to those who reside in Roscommon County and/or show financial need.

Patricia Hill Nursing Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to Kirtland Level II RN program enrolled students. Minimum 3.25 GPA. Preference may be given to Crawford County residents. Student must be enrolled part-time or full-time.

Jean King Memorial

This scholarship is limited to students majoring in fine arts or commercial arts at Kirtland. They must be residents of the college district. First preference will be given to residents of Ogemaw County.

Otto and Martha Krauss Honors Scholarship

Students must be a member of the Kirtland Honors Program.

Ron & Melanie Marino Memorial Scholarship

Students must be seeking a degree or certificate on at least a half-time basis. An instructor’s recommendation and an evaluation of financial need will be reviewed. Employees or immediate family members of Weyerhaeuser Company shall receive first consideration.

Herbert and Evelyn Miller Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to Level I LPN students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their core courses and a minimum of 2.5 GPA for all other courses. Residency must be in the college district with preference given to Oscoda County students.

The Keith Rich Trust

This scholarship is limited to students enrolled in nursing or other medically related programs at Kirtland. Applicants or their parents/guardians must be residents of Lyon Township, Roscommon County, Michigan.

Phylis J. Thompson Memorial

This scholarship is open to all Kirtland students enrolled in any program of study.

Patrick J. Trahan Memorial

This scholarship is awarded in recognition of academic performance in chemical science, with preferential treatment given to those students pursuing a career in conservation or natural resources. Students must have a 2.8 G.P.A. or higher.

Marguerite D. Wiltse Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to students from Crawford, Ogemaw, Oscoda and Roscommon Counties pursuing health careers. Preference is given to those students with financial need.

Student Leader Scholarship

Must be a current Kirtland student (full or part-time) and maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average. Must currently be a leader on campus or in the community. Scholarship is offered in the winter semester only. Students will be notified via Kirtland email with details when scholarship is posted.

Home Schooled/Dual-enrolled Student Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to in-district students dual-enrolled into any program of study. Student must maintain a high school G.P.A. of 3.0.

Veterans Helping Veterans at Kirtland

This scholarship is open to all veterans at Kirtland enrolled in any program of study. Student must have cumulative G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher and demonstrate financial need.

General Scholarship

This scholarship is open to all Kirtland students in any program of study

Scholarships Sponsored by Outside Agency

Janet Sieb Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship is limited to full-time students in a business or office information systems program. Applicants must be residents of the college district and demonstrate financial need.

Other Scholarship

Many other particular and unique scholarships may be available from corporations, associations, agencies, clubs, churches, and foundations. It is recommended that interested students make inquiries of their high school counselor, their local Chamber of Commerce, their place of employment (or their parent’s), any organizations to which they or their parents may belong, and the Student Financial Services Office.

Student Loans

NOTE: Loan eligibility criteria are subject to revision. Contact the Student Financial Services Office for current procedures.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program

Subsidized Stafford Loan

This loan is for students enrolled at least half-time who demonstrate financial need beyond what is met by other financial aid. The federal government covers interest payments during periods of deferment. Students must file the FAFSA to have financial need determined.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

This is identical to the subsidized loan, except that the federal government does not pay the interest while a student attends classes.

Parent Loan Program (PLUS)

This loan is for parents of dependent students who have obtained the maximum financial assistance from other sources, including the PELL Grant and Stafford Loan.

Alternative Student Loan Programs

Students showing need over and above all other sources of financial aid for which they have been determined eligible may apply for an alternative loan.

Other Programs Available at Kirtland

VA Educational Benefits

Entitlement and Eligibility

Veterans, dependents, and selected reservists should contact Student Financial Services Office in the administration building to obtain accurate, complete, and current information concerning educational benefits.

Educational Benefit Programs available are the following:

  1. Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill
    Active Duty Educational Assistance Program
  2. Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation
    Veterans with a compensatory service-connected disability that impairs employability
  3. Chapter 33, Montgomery GI Bill Post 9/11
  4. Chapter 35, Educational Assistance for Veterans’ Dependents
    Children and spouses of veterans who died of a service-connected disability or who are totally and permanently disabled from a service-connected disability
  5. Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program
  6. Chapter 1607, Reservists called to active duty in response to war.

VA Application Process

VA application forms are available online at www.gibill.va.gov, or from the Student Financial Services Office located in the administration building. The application may be submitted online to the VA or by the Student Financial Services Office.

If the student has previously drawn educational benefits elsewhere, the student needs to complete a Request for a Change of Place and/or Program form and have transcripts from other colleges sent to Kirtland for evaluation as soon as possible. Benefits can be suspended if credit evaluations are not reported to the VA before the student completes two semesters.

Certification of Enrollment

Students must request certification of enrollment each semester. The Kirtland Veterans Certification Request form must be fully completed and submitted to the Student Financial Services Office along with a class schedule.

Pay Rate

Monthly rates vary according to which VA program is providing the assistance, the student’s course load status and length of semester enrollment.

Advance Pay

Students eligible for VA benefits may request an advance payment if they carry at least a half-time course load and the VA receives the enrollment certification at least 30 days before classes start. The advance check covers the initial month or partial month of the semester, plus the following month. This check is sent to the college. Subsequent checks are mailed to the student’s mailing address or can be directly deposited to the student’s financial institution. Chapter 33 students cannot receive advance pay.

Guidelines and Responsibilities

  1. Generally, classes certified must fulfill graduation requirements.
  2. VA payment is not ordinarily allowed for repeating a previously passed course.
  3. Any changes in program of study, course load, address, etc., must be reported to the Student Financial Services Office.
  4. If any eligible student certified for benefits fails to enter a course or withdraws officially or unofficially from classes, the VA will be notified.
  5. Students having problems with receiving their education benefits should contact the VA at their toll-free number: 1-888-442-4551.
  6. Certain VA programs require monthly verification. Attendance may be verified by calling 1-877-823-2378 at any time on the last day of the month or later, or use WAVE Internet access: www.gibill.va.gov

Consequences of Dropping Classes

If a student receiving VA benefits drops a class and it changes the course load, the drop will be reported to the VA. If a student fails a course, the last date of attendance in the course will be reported. Students are responsible for any overpayment due to their withdrawal (unofficial or official), or class failure.

Satisfactory Progress

A student receiving VA benefits needs to understand the college’s policy regarding academic probation. When this policy allows, a VA student placed on probation may have a maximum of two consecutive semesters to raise the cumulative grade point average to a 2.0. Failure to do so will make the student ineligible for recertification, and unsatisfactory progress will be reported to the VA in writing.

ServiceMembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)

Kirtland Community College is designated as an SOC. SOC is a network of more than 1,400 colleges and universities whose policies and programs are designed especially to help meet the higher education needs of service-members. Contact the Student Services Office for more information.